Monday, November 18, 2013

My lovely companion ...

Hey everyone!

So, I was deciding what would be a good name for this past week, and that's what I got. So, everyone knows how I really don't like it when everyone knows about my birthday and when people start talking about it. I'm fine the day of to have something small, but when everyone in the world knows that it's coming up, I feel all weird! I guess it's part of the whole not being able to accept compliments part of my life. And, it's probably something that I should get over too. haha For the last week, my companion has been telling everyone that we see that it's my birthday this week. That means that it gets talked about in every dinner appointment with members, and every other house that we visit. Yup, she is that crazy about birthdays.
I was trying to decided why it is that I have a really hard time taking compliments and also why I don't like people talking about me. I am more than happy giving other people compliments and also talking up what they are doing. But, when it comes to myself, I shy away. I guess it was a mix of things that happened. When I was really sick and battling with my cancer, a lot of things happened. I didn't feel like I was really worth anything, I didn't feel beautiful, and I didn't want anyone to say anything nice about me because I didn't believe it. It took a really long time, but over the years, I was able to get past those feelings, well some of them. And now I can see myself as a beautiful daughter of God and I know that He does love me. I guess I just needed to humble myself a little more and get past the physical obstructions in life and see what really does matter most. It's not on the outward appearance, but it's in the heart. (Read 1 Samuel 16:7) If I can keep telling that to other people, then I better find a good way to live the same way! :) So, I guess I will be okay that she is announcing to the world that my birthday is this week. haha
So, this week has been cold!!! Ok, so not really that cold, but we have been outside and walking a lot. We decided that we really need to get to know all the members on the list in our area...and that's a ton! We went through the lists and found almost 50 families that we have never even heard of their names before. It's super sad because we don't even know if they live there anymore. We can just pray that someone will find them if they don't live here anymore. :)
Saturday afternoon, we went out with our list and tried to find a few families that all lived in the same apartment complex. Once we spent a few minutes trying to figure out how the numbers actually worked in the apartment complex, we finally found the door...after a few more circles. We knocked on the first door and the family didn't live there, but another family just moved in and was in the middle of celebrating someone's birthday. So, we said hi, set up a return appointment with the family and left. In that short 5 minute conversation, I forgot his name...twice, and tried to shake his hand...twice which was covered in food and he didn't offer it. Yup, sometimes my little memory problems come in the way. Good thing God is always here to help! So, we will get to know them this week and see if they want to come closer to Christ through the Gospel.

We went on to knock another door...which a big black guy opened up. Hermana Hawkins was with us as well so that she could practice her spanish. It was her turn on the door. She said hola and started introducing us in spanish...yeah, he definitely doesn't speak spanish. haha That was interesting. But, he took a card with the english elder's number and accepted for us to send them to visit him! Then, there were two girls walking back into their apartment from the laundry and we said hi, but they quickly walked in and shut the door. The next number on the list was theirs. Yup, we walked right back over and knocked on their door. :) We started talking and they let us right in to leave a prayer with their home. The mom has been reading the bible recently and trying to understand it more. They want to join a church and need some direction in their lives. We left the prayer, talked about the Book of Mormon, shared our testimonies and left with a return appointment for this week. They speak english too and committed to going to church yesterday in the english ward. We gave the sisters a heads-up to look for them at church. Haven't heard anything yet, but hopefully they loved it!
Miracles are happening all around us. Make sure everyday to write down something in your journal, on a blog, somewhere...and write a tender mercy God has allowed you to witness during the day. It makes a difference. So, go out and be a missionary. Help someone to brighten their lives.
My quote (?) for the week...I"m not quite sure what to call it...
Our goal in life is to return to the presence of our Father in Heaven one day. When we get there, we are going to look around, and who do we want to see? Do we want to be there by ourselves, or do we want to be surrounded by our family, our friends, our colleagues, our neighbors? If we want to be surrounded by these people, we must help them to gain exaltation as well. We must invite them to learn about the gospel and to accept it in their lives. If the only way to God is through the strait and narrow path, then we must help all those we love get on that path and progress. So, go and help someone receive that exaltation too. Make sure you return to live with God, and all those people are right there with you. :) 


Scripture for the week! 
Read Alma 26. It's amazing! It is the reuniting of the sons of Mosiah and Alma the younger after the missions to the Lamanites. We need to be strong in the times of trials and always know that we have a second chance. :)

These are some of my favorite verses!
11 But Ammon said unto him: I do not aboast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my bjoy is full, yea, my heart is brim with cjoy, and I will rejoice in my God. 12 Yea, I know that I am anothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will bnot boast of myself, but I willcboast of my God, for in his dstrength I can do all ethings; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.
 13 Behold, how many thousands of our brethren has he loosed from the pains of ahell; and they are brought tobsing redeeming love, and this because of the power of his word which is in us, therefore have we not great reason to rejoice?
 14 Yea, we have reason to praise him forever, for he is the Most High God, and has loosed our brethren from theachains of hell.
 15 Yea, they were encircled about with everlasting adarkness and destruction; but behold, he has brought them into his everlasting blight, yea, into everlasting salvation; and they are encircled about with the matchless bounty of his love; yea, and we have been instruments in his hands of doing this great and marvelous work.
 16 Therefore, let us aglory, yea, we will bglory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his cmercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel.
Pictures- 
Hermana Jones and I at zone conference this week! So much fun :) 


And look who I found finally!!! Elder Linares :) Yup so excited to see him! I don't think I have seen him since we were dance partners back in youth conference like 4 years ago...yeah it's been a long time. But, it was great to see him again!




Love you tons!

Hermana Jessica Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment