Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Monte Vista :)

Hey Family!!!!!

So, I'm in my new area!!

That's why I didn't get to write yesterday. But, things are already crazy. 

We found out Saturday night that I was moving. Sunday was spent packing up and getting everything done and ready, getting plans ready for next week for Hna Jones, and then making sure the area was ready for a new sister to come in. It was a lot of work, but super fun! The sink at the Garcia's wasn't working in the kitchen, so their dishes from all weekend piled up all over the counters in the kitchen. I didn't realize how many dishes they use in 2 days between the 4 of them! We decided to help and do some service. So, we went to the garage, found a cooler and loaded up all the dirty dishes. We hauled them upstairs to the bathroom and filled up the entire bath tub with hot soapy water. Then we spent about 2 hours talking and cleaning dishes. We realized we had to leave soon to get to the stake center for transfers. So, we pulled out the bottom rack of the dishwasher and loaded up all the plates and put it back in to dry. It's definitely going to be different not living there anymore! I'm going to miss the Garcia's for sure. But, changes are always good! 

Last week was interesting to say the least...Hna Jones got super sick and so I was trying to work as much as I could at home in the mornings to let her rest up. The weather here hasn't been too bad, but I think I'll agree with Alyssa when I say some people are whimps! haha We got voicemails friday and saturday saying we couldn't drive all morning due to bad weather conditions. Have the missionaries back home been able to leave in months then? I always thought that was a funny rule, but I guess when they don't know if drivers have ever driven in snow, it's a little scarier. 

We started reading with an amazing family last week and it's been amazing! They are both trying to gain a testimony in the gospel and are really struggling. But, after each chapter, they are both finding ways to apply it to their lives. I have never done that before my mission. Every time I read the Book of Mormon, I write something about that chapter and how I can apply a new skill to my life. I just need to figure out a way to have a better memory and actually try to develop it throughout the day! I'm lucky to remember what I said 5 minutes ago! But, Beba said something really cool the other night. We were reading in the first chapters of 1 Nephi and she was surprised at the great faith that Nephi had. She said how she needs to have the faith right now to study and try to gain a testimony of the gospel. It was nothing we said, the scriptures teach everything we ever would need to know. We just need to let them know that and help them to take the first steps to understanding. 

I was reading David's blog post about finding peace in the most difficult times. It's truly incredible to find that there really is peace in everything because of our knowledge of the Savior Jesus Christ. It reminds me of a mormon message, I don't remember the name, but it's about President Eyring I believe telling a story of when he was on a plane and the wing caught on fire. He was spiraling downwards and there was a lady screaming next to him. But, he felt complete peace. We feel peace not because we aren't scared, but because we know everything will be okay. Things will go on. We will overcome everything we need to do as we allow Christ to help us. We can't do it on our own. We need his help in everything we do. We can't do this on our own.

I was thinking a lot about my mission this morning. What I have learned. How I have been changed. The things that have happened. It seems like yesterday that I left, but so many things have happened. I have learned how to be stronger through the hardest of times, and plead with God for help. I have been crying with tears of joy as someone that I love decides to be strong in the gospel of Christ. 

I love this gospel with all my heart. I know that I am exactly where I need to be. I can't wait to continue to see the changes taking place in myself and in those around me. 

I love you all! 
Stay strong and be faithful always. "All things will work out!" 
Hermana Jessica Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment